Sunday 1 June 2014

Creature From The Black Lagoon SFX work


This creature creation has been something that I've been working on for a while, just because of all the different elements connected to making it work plus I've fairly busy these past couple of days! 
 

It was done for a live demonstration at Blackburn Market with my students using the theme "under the sea", I decided it would be a good idea to challenge myself by doing a complete head prosthetics with "add on's!" I had the fabulous Alice Ashley assisting for this one as well as the equally fabulous Alex Gillet modelling for me…it was the dream team!

So it all began with the sculpture, which I used my shiney new tools that I got from United Makeup Expo back in April by the extremely helpful PS composites, http://www.ps-composites.com/ .Love them, they are so easy to use and create such definition in the sculpt. 

 
I did create a video showing my sculpting of the piece which can be viewed here .... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaYXxT4IrZ0
 
After I casted the piece in plaster, I created the piece from gelatine...also bought from PS composites. I have to say that this prosthetic looks a lot better then my others, so am really happy with the development in myself. I think it was down to the tools I used as I was able to apply more details within the clay this time.
 
 

The next process was a DIY moment, I needed to make fins for my creature and a Mohawk fin. So I thought wire was the way to go. Just normal garden wire, bent into the shape of fin and then I used tan tights pulled over the wire frame and stitched it on to the frame.
To get that fish scale effect I added liquid latex all over the fins then left them to dry.
To paint them I used my brand new Skin Illustrate palette, which I bought from PPI http://www.ppi.cc/

 I used the NecroManic palette in Darth Moss and Vile Bile over the fin and then the FX palette in Aged Blood to highlight the "veins." This is the first time that I've used these products (its taken me a while to save up for them!) And I love the build up of shades that you can create with them. Brilliant product to use for dimention.

Once the fin's were done, I started colouring the piece using similar colours as well as airbrush work on the base colours and contouring of the creature using Temptu Dura Liquid Pro Set - Trauma (http://temptu.com/pro/dura-pro-liquid-pro-set-5024.html), in various colours. This is the first time I've used this set and it worked for what I wanted to do. It was easy to build up the colour and mix for added dimention.
I also used the Skin Illustrator palettes for more detail and added dimention.

 
 
And here is the final look, Alex Gillet model for me and I had the lovely Alice Ashley assisting with the application.
It was all done live at Blackburn Market and although there were a few moments of "improvisation", it all worked out.
 

I am happy with the way it turned out, there are ,obviously for me!, areas that I want to work on and challenge a little further but am happy.


 
 There is a video of the application which can be viewed here: http://ow.ly/x95cw
 
I have also uploaded more images on my facebook page; https://www.facebook.com/Ruth.E.Moulden.MUA
 
Let me know what you think.
xRx 



 
 
 
 




 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment