Sunday 30 March 2014

White Walker Prosthetic

 This is a creation I've been hovering around completing for ages, its something that one of my friends from work challenged me to do and since Game Of Thrones is one of my favourite shows, I couldn't resist. The White Walker.
 
Once again am creating this with what I have, am not rich and am still saving up for my SFX courses which will show me the more advanced techniques. Having said that this is the first time I've attempted a full face which was quiet cool.
 
So it all starts with my initial design drawing, which took me a far while to complete with all them wrinkles and lines. I focused more on my skills in highlighting and shading with this one for obvious reasons...
 
 
Next, I started the sculpting. I'll admit after seeing this in the photographs, he does look like an angry White Walker...that's my creative stamp on the character. After all I don't like coping straight from the character, its got to have my own element to it.
 
 
Now time for the messy stage...casting!!!
For this one I decided extra strength was needed so I put plenty of plaster bandages around the sculpture so that it wouldn't crack when I released it.
 
 

The above image is of the mould with the gelatine material inside...I thought it looked like one of those optical illusions...is the face coming forwards or going backwards???
Am a geek what can I say!
 
 
I decided that because the White Walker is so detailed in colours/shading that it would be easier to paint up the piece first and add final touches when it was on.
I used Mistair FX airbrush paints to colour to piece and I tried to keep the colour palette to similar colours; blue. white and black.
I think I'll be investing in a new airbrush gun as mine is a basic IWATA but I think I need an up grade to one able to apply more detailed work. But am happy with what I did do.
As usual the airbrush application is always my go to for quick and easy application of the base colours; I then went in closer with a fine paint brush to add more detail work.
 
I also applied the crepe hair work before I applied the piece.
 

And there you have it....the final piece.
Its turned out pretty good and am happy with the overall look, as normal I can see areas that need work and development but that's a good thing cause that how I develop.


 
What do you guys think?
 
 
 Check out my facebook page for more images of the character...

https://www.facebook.com/Ruth.E.Moulden.MUA

Also check out the video on there....Video of the application (click here)

Next blog will be covering the Makeup Artist Expo in London which I'll be going to next weekend...eeeeeekkkkkk am very excited!!!

Bye for now lovelies...

xRx






No comments:

Post a Comment