Friday 14 March 2014

Goblin Character

This is a really late blog, I did this look a few weeks ago but I forgot to put up a blog about the creative process I used.
Keep in mind am still working my skills on this area and it is something that I want do a course on, especially in using different materials such as silicone or foam latex but I use what I have and try to make it work! I feel like my skills are progressing well since I last did a gelatine prosthetic and my sculpting skills are also getting better which is always a plus.

So I begin with the design idea which was original meant to follow the theme of an evil goblin style character with occult style carvings in the face as well as a bald head, this was primarily so I can practice my skills in applying a bald cap.

My design idea was basic and to be honest a little rushed, I did some of it whilst I was waiting for my students at college and some whilst I was in-between workshops. It could be better drawn I know but I got the idea in my head and was eager to run with it. Also there are a lot of other elements to it such as teeth, horns, fingers and costume that I wish I could add but I don't have the budget.#


The sculpting went pretty well, I decided to try and create a wall around the main piece just so I could try to get the thinnest lines around the piece which will make it easier to apply and blend.

Pretty happy with some of the sculpting elements however I think my ability to build up the brow shapes needs work. Back to the anatomy books I go!


 
Next stage is the casing of the piece, I used some plaster bandages to reinforce the mould and ensure that if the plaster cracks then I've got some strength to hold it together with the bandages.

Again am using gelatine just because am still saving my money up for the prosthetic courses on foam latex and silicone prosthetics. Until I can raise this money I got to work with what I have. I would love to create something from foam latex or silicone but that’s in my future and this is the now.


The scars are little mini prosthetic pieces that I created using plasticine to sculpt the scars and then I put a silicone putty around this to create a mould. The silicone mould worked very well and was pretty easy to create and use. I picked mine up from Make and Bake…who supply cake moulds or icing/chocolate mould. Once these moulds were created then I filled them with gelatine and placed a sheet of baking paper over the top to create a nice flat surface for the when I come to apply the piece.




So all the elements were there for me create my goblin creature. The first step was the bald cap. The best bald caps that I have used to date are Kryolan's, I love the easy in blending the edges away by melting them down using acetone, it's so quiet and easy and looks smooth. I find  bald caps hysterical and I'll admit that I was crying with laughter when I  had applied this…I do not look good bald!!


After this I applied the prosthetic pieces, starting with the biggest main pieces and then adding the small scar pieces. I coloured everything using my airbrush, using Mistair FX water based colours. It worked well and I think my shading abilities are developing and improving with each character creation. My main colours were white and black but I think I could of used some blue tones just to create more of a cold feeling to the character.


Overall I like what I did and its definitely an improvement from my last character creation which makes me happy.

In my next blog am going to cover the crepe hair day with my level 3 students, they did amazingly well and I want to share the creativity with you guys!


Don’t forget to check out my facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/Ruth.E.Moulden.MUA?ref=hl

Twitter:
https://twitter.com/RM_Makeup


Don't forget to get your tickets for the +United Makeup Artist Expo , it's going to be an amazing weekend filled with professional artists for you to chat with and learn from not to mention many many stalls selling professional products, tools and equipment for all your makeup artist's needs!


Ciao for now my lovelies!

xRX

No comments:

Post a Comment