Tuesday 18 February 2014

Creative Make Up Demonstration; "Warrior"


Last week I was a busy bee; doing creative fashion demonstrations as well as SFX demonstration with a variety of students from Blackburn College, from my fabulous media makeup students to hair and beauty students.

It was an extremely long week, but I got to meet a lot of new students and speak to those who were interested in joining my media makeup band of merriness. In this blog I’ll be covering my creative makeup session and what I created for the students which included the use of the headdress I created and spoke about in previous blog.

So the whole theme for this creative makeup demonstration was “Warriors”, I always like the creation of strong looking images using creative makeup techniques and figured that this would inspired the students to create and imagine. My design focused on inspiration taken from Japanese Theatre, Kabuki in particular as I absolutely love the masks worn. It’s an idea that’s been floating around in my head of a long time and I wanted to challenge myself with creating a headdress. The main inspiration for the headdress focused more on dark nature and creating a bit of a contrasted between the structured, edgy makeup design and the natural, almost softened effect of the headdress.
 



The techniques that I wanted the students to have a play with was primarily creating distinctive patterns using eyeliner, as it’s something that most students fear. I use several brushes to create the detail work; flat angled brush, thin round brush and medium round brush but it is up to you the artist to find a brush that you feel comfortable with using. In order to get the straight lines the main 3 lessons are use guideline dotes, use an anchor point created by your little finger and practice. It’s all about building your confidence and reducing that shaky feeling where you stop breathing when applying!

 
 
 
The base colours were applied using manual buffing of cream foundation mixed with applying airbrush, MistFX red. The reason why I used a mixture of the two was because only my media make up level 3 students are trained to use the airbrush equipment and so I wanted the other students to have a techniques that they can apply. I will admit I absolutely love airbrush application, it quick and creates a beautiful blended and smooth application. MistFX colour is a fantastic product for applying body art or creative makeup and it can be used through an airbrush gun (once mixed with distilled water) or manually. Therefore it’s a two for one sort of product!

As stated in previous blog entries, the headdress was created by moi, using wire to create a “hat” shape and creating horns and the bird skull using a clay putty that can be cooked in the oven to harden.

I held these demonstrations 4 times during Blackburn College Industry Week and meet a lot of lovely new people as well as using my own media makeup students as models…thankie guys! And hopefully I inspired some more creative make up applications and may be inspired a few students to join the media makeup course next year.
Next blog entry will be covering the SFX demonstration that I did for the Level 2 Media Make-up students.
Don't forget to check out more photographs of this demonstration and other character concepts via;  https://www.facebook.com/Ruth.E.Moulden.MUA

No comments:

Post a Comment