Sunday 19 April 2015

United Makeup Artist's Expo 2015

Last couple of weeks have been Easter Holidays and even though I had time off teaching (obviously the odd lesson to plan and the odd assignment to mark) I was busy with the freelance side of makeup artistry, from Wedding trials to designing for up coming events/demonstrations, its a continuing work schedule for me...and I love it!

One of the delightful days off was at United Makeup Artist Expo down in London which I attended this time last weekend. This was my second visit to the event and its still as awesome as ever!


I love going to this event as it really is tailored well for makeup artists in the industry, as well as the awesome stalls, makeup gurus doing live demonstrations and experts to talk to the event also holds multiple educational sessions in which you can learn new methods, skills, about new products etc by the industry experts! Learning from these artists is a dream come true for me and it really does inspire me to push my own skills and designs.

The company's that attended were (in my opinion) some of the top supply companies in the industry along with some of there expert artists on hand to help explain the new products as well as suitability of products for you projects.

At the PPI  booth there was the amazing makeup artist Kenny Myers (who has done the makeup for films such as The Prestige, X-men, The Return of Living Dead and many many more) doing a live demonstration. I watched for quiet a while whilst he create this amazing Troll/Orc style warrior. It was amazing!


 This was what was eventually created, however I was unable to take a photo of the finished look.
 
 PPI, Premiere Products is a brilliant effects company that supply a range of products; from bloods, skin illustrators, adhesives, Fleet Street products and more. They are based in American which is why I always go straight to their booth first...I would have to spend a fortune to ship there products plus a large amount cannot be shipped via airmail. If you have never heard of this brand I strongly suggest that you check them out!


One of the other artists there was Stuart Bray, who has an wicked website which teaching some methods of making prosthetics... http://learnprostheticmakeup.com/ its extremely useful website. He's work can also be seen in such films as Shaun of The Dead, Tv series Game of Thrones as well as Blade II and Tv series Dr Who.

Another Artist present was Shaune Harrison, whose Academy in Manchester is my current goal to go to...still saving those pennies. He was doing an awesome demonstration of a bird like hybrid, which was so popular I found it extremely difficult to get a clear picture of the making of.

 
Photo of the prosthetic by Shaune Harrison without any colour...


 
Finished character, how cool are the contact lenses!!

 
Full character, loved the beck piece. Looks amazing!! Seeing this makes me want to go to Shaune Harrison's Academy even more...I totally want to learn how to do this!!!
 
Some of the educational seminars included mainly SFX, but I did attend one by Kryolan, with the wonderful Leanne Simmons which was entitled "Special Effects meets Fashion" which was incredibly interest and has really inspired me.
The main focus of the session was showing how you can use special effects to create high fashion looks, for this demonstration Leanne's design drew inspiration from Tim Burton fantasy. She used a variety of techniques from bald cap applications, blocking out eyebrows, facepaints and blood. She also showed us an extremely clever use for gelatine (or gelafix skin by Kryolan) by creating 3D eye brows with it. Looked so effective!! 
 
 
How amazing is the overall look, to make it more impressive Leanne only had limited time to create it as there were a few problems setting up the room and getting the model  but she did amazingly well and I learnt a lot!

 
Like I mentioned before as well as the educational seminars there were live demonstrations from each of the booths with some amazing artists; from body art to fashion makeup as well as special effect characters. 

 
Kryolan booth had this toxic body art creating using the same gelafix method shown within the educational seminar. I love the 3D effect it gives!

 
I didn't realise it until the model turned around but there was a screen on his back which was playing Kryolan adverts...how cool is that!!
 
One of the other Educational seminars that I attended was one held by Brian Kinney who taught us about "Prosthetic Casting with Flat Moulds." He showed us these Hurt Boxes that he developed and created for fast creation of cuts, scars, grazes etc and they looked amazing! I really wish I could find the booth they were being sold at but alas I'll have to order it! 
 
I did have an awesome time at the event and bought some awesome things which I will be using very soon as well as doing reviews on them.
 
 
 As you can see its a good mixture of stuff! Which I can't wait to use.
 
Don't forget to take a look at my facebook page for more images from the event as well as more up to date posts on my crazy creative life as a makeup artist @Ruth.E.Moulden.MUA
 
If you want to buy your tickets for next years UMA expo; check out their website here: www.umae.co.uk 
 
Bye for now my lovelies,
 
xRx
 

No comments:

Post a Comment